Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gaming: Winning and losing don't matter at all

competitive gaming
Don't be a pissy Mcfuckface just because you lost a game. If winning a game is all that you care about, especially in the competitive sense, then you're probably playing games for all the wrong reasons. Video games are an awesome way to escape the mundane every day routine for sure, but sometimes it becomes more than that. Not for myself, but I've seen others become so wrapped up in the competitive side of gaming that it makes me wonder why they play games at all. While it is fun to see an awesome game tournament, a good match, a nice move, it amazes me that small-time online folk have a sense of pride when it comes to winning online and/or in competitive gaming. No, seriously, what the hell? What happened to playing games for fun? How about playing games for a story? An adventure? I think that these people need to get over whatever stick they have up their ass and realize that it's just a game. One shouldn't place their sense of self on a video game. Don't get me wrong, I love video games, but not to the point that I'm going to question myself if I lose a match. That's just plain stupid. Now, I love multiplayer games and I love playing games with friends when I have the time. Fortunately for me, my friends and I are at about the same level of awesomeness at the games that we play, so there's a nice balance of winning and losing involved, but in the end that doesn't matter at all. Even if someone was better than the next, we don't play competitive games for those reasons. We play games for fun, for a laugh, and for enjoyment. Never once do we give a crap about who wins and who loses. It's all about the overall experience.

1 comment:

  1. "We play games for fun, for a laugh, and for enjoyment. Never once do we give a crap about who wins and who loses. It's all about the overall experience."

    That is, indeed, the best way to go about things.
    Well...unless you're playing as Seth and you get beaten by Dan. Even when you're just playing to have fun, that's still kind of embarassing ;)

    ReplyDelete